Why Should I Choose ABS Over Fiberglass
There are 2 primary materials to choose from if you’re going with a hard tonneau cover for your truck, ABS Plastic or Fiberglass.
There are 2 primary materials to choose from if you’re going with a hard tonneau cover for your truck, ABS Plastic or Fiberglass. It can be confusing as you try and research the pros and cons of each material to determine which one is the best choice for you.
- DOESN’T FIBERGLASS HAVE MORE EXPERIENCE OVER ABS? Yes, Fiberglass has certainly been around longer and you’ll find fiberglass proponents who would argue it is the superior choice. But plastics technology has come of age and ABS is an equally worthy, if not superior, consideration for your tonneau cover. UnderCover’s advanced technology and ABS composite material ensure you get the highest level of quality and the best fitting cover available. In fact, ABS is stronger and more durable than fiberglass.
- WHAT IS ABS PLASTIC? “ABS” is a copolymer of “Acrylonitrile, Butadiene, and Styrene”. Aren’t you glad you asked? The advantage of ABS is that this material combines the strength and rigidity of the acrylonitrile and styrene polymers with the toughness of the polybutadiene rubber.
- WHAT IS THE COST DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ABS AND FIBERGLASS? ABS composite is the clear winner here. ABS covers are significantly lower cost than Fiberglass, but “cheap plastic” definitely doesn’t apply here!
- IS ABS DURABLE? Yes! While Fiberglass has a higher load-bearing strength, ABS has higher impact strength. This is a benefit in the event of accident damage or for off-road enthusiasts. The most amazing mechanical properties of ABS technology are resistance and toughness. ABS covers better withstand the vibration of rough roads whereas Fiberglass is prone to crack under the shock of rough terrain. As well, in many impact situations where Fiberglass will crack or shatter, ABS will survive unscathed, although minor damage to both materials can be repaired.
- ABS IS DURABLE AND HALF THE WEIGHT OF FIBERGLASS The pictures don’t lie, our ABS tonneaus are strong enough for 7 people to stand on yet light enough for 2 people to easily and quickly lift the cover off the truck and hang it on our wall mount hardware. Where fiberglass cover can become a permanent fixture on your truck, UnderCover’s are simple to remove. We have the lightest hard tonneaus on the market.
ABS plastic provides the features you seek in a tonneau cover regarding custom fit, security, weather protection, quality of manufacturing, special features, etc. Check out our ABS composite options such as the lightweight, strong and easy to remove UnderCover Classic tonneau cover. This cover is custom fit, weather tight, easily removable and can simply be stored on a wall mount. Or choose from the stylish UnderCover SE. Special features of this cover include quick-release struts, pull strap, twist lock and LED light. At UnderCover, we are committed to setting the standard for high product quality and superior customer service. We believe that an ABS plastic tonneau cover will be your clear choice after you see our products. Click here or call us at (866) 900-8800 if you would like to speak with one of our knowledgeable reps.